On June 20, our very own Chef Bernard Kinsella joined WHDH’s Amanda Grace on “The Dish” to demonstrate how simple, healthy and delicious a berry trifle is.
Wild Berry Trifle
Ingredients Serves 10
– 1 pint blueberries
– 1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut into thick slices
– 2 pint raspberries
– 1 lemon, juiced
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
– 1 quart plain yogurt
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 (11-ounce) jar lemon curd
– 1 (store bought) angel food cake, sliced 1/2-inch thick in cubes
1. Place the berries into a large bowl and sprinkle with half of the lemon juice. Lightly toss.
2. Combine the berries, sugar, cornstarch and remaining lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook just until the berries begin to break down and give up their juices, about 3 minutes. Take the berries off the heat and let cool; the mixture should thicken up as is cools.
3. In a clean bowl, mix the yogurt with the sugar and blend to combine. Add the lemon curd stir to combine.
4. To assemble the trifle, spoon a layer of the lemon yogurt into a large glass bowl. Add a layer of angel food cake, breaking the slices into pieces that fit. Then soak the cake with a layer of berries and their juices. Keep going to make 3 or 4 more layers, depending on the size of the bowl, finishing with a layer of lemon cream. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To read more and see the original article, please visit WHDH